Honoring the Whole Student: Developing Space for Native American Students in STEM by Supporting Complex IdentitiesDOWNLOAD FILE
April 30, 2020 Author: Quentin Tyler
The Honoring the Whole Student workbook website was developed and made possible by support from the National Science Foundation. The motivation for this workbook is to provide Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) faculty the support and tools needed to reflect on their instructional, mentorship, and teaching practices—individually or within a community of learners.
The goal is for STEM faculty to foster a deeper understanding of how to more dynamically support Native American students. The activities in this workbook are intended to generate conversation and reflection about the challenges faced by, and worldviews of, Native American STEM students.
- Christie M. Poitra, Interim Director, Native American Institute, Michigan State University
- Angela Kolonich, Director of Professional Learning for the Next Generation Project Based Learning Initiative, CREATE for STEM Institute, Michigan State University
- Wendy F. Smythe, Assistant Professor, departments of American Indian Studies and Earth and Environmental Sciences, University of Minnesota Duluth
- Quentin Tyler, Associate Dean and Director for the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, College of Agriculture and Natural Resources, Michigan State University
The workbook is comprised of different activities that provide scenario and reflection components. It is available as the Honoring the Whole Student Workbook website or as a PDF download.
- Activity 1: History of your Campus
- Activity 2: Inclusive Language
- Activity 3: Mentorship
- Activity 4: Instruction
- Activity 5: Lab Research
- Activity 6: Preparation for Fieldwork
- Activity 7: Field Research
- Activity 8: Continued Learning
- Resource List for Further Learning
Once you have completed the workbook, please fill out a survey about your experiences and to receive a personalized letter from the Michigan State University Native American Institute that recognizes your professional development efforts.
Creative Commons License
Honoring the Whole Student: Developing Space for Native American Students in STEM by Supporting Complex Identities by The Native American Institute at Michigan State University, is licensed under a Creative Commons AttributionNonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.