Broccoli Mac and Cheese
Have you ever tried to make your own mac and cheese? Try our simple recipe! We added broccoli for an additional boost of fiber and nutrition.
Prep Time: 5 Minutes
Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- 2 cups whole-wheat elbow pasta - uncooked
- 8 ounces of sharp cheddar cheese (cut in cube)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ cups milk (low-fat or fat-free)
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 cups cooked chopped broccoli
- Wash your hands for 30 seconds with hot water and soap.
- Sanitize all food prep surfaces and cooking utensils.
- Rinse and chop broccoli.
- Boil pasta for 5 minutes, following directions on the package.
- Add broccoli to boiling pasta, boil together for an additional 4 minutes.
- Drain pasta and broccoli.
- Over medium heat, melt butter in a separate pot.
- Add flour and milk to pot with melted butter and whisk until the mixture thickens.
- Whisk cheese into milk base.
- Add pasta and broccoli to the cheese sauce and mix.
- Serve hot!
You could try this recipe with cauliflower, peas, carrots or any other vegetable! This recipe can feed up to five people. Serve with a salad or vegetables on the side for a well rounded meal.